Monday, April 27, 2009

Diamond #8



Well its been awhile and this diamond will be short, but I really wanted to express how gratefull I am for the gifts of the spirit. I teach the 17-18 year old Sunday school class in my ward, and this past week the lesson was on the gifts of the spirit. There was a few quotes that really struck me as profound and I want to share them:
Elder Marvin J. Ashton of the Quorum of the Twelve said some “less-conspicuous gifts” include “the gift of asking; the gift of listening; the gift of hearing and using a still, small voice; … the gift of avoiding contention; the gift of being agreeable; … the gift of seeking that which is righteous; the gift of not passing judgment; the gift of looking to God for guidance; the gift of being a disciple; the gift of caring for others; the gift of being able to ponder; the gift of offering prayer; the gift of bearing a mighty testimony; and the gift of receiving the Holy Ghost” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1987, 23; or Ensign, Nov. 1987, 20).
President George Q. Cannon taught: “If any of us are imperfect, it is our duty to pray for the gift that will make us perfect. Have I imperfections? I am full of them. What is my duty? To pray to God to give me the gifts that will correct these imperfections. If I am an angry man, it is my duty to pray for charity, which suffereth long and is kind. Am I an envious man? It is my duty to seek for charity, which envieth not. So with all the gifts of the Gospel. They are intended for this purpose. No man ought to say, ‘Oh, I cannot help this; it is my nature.’ He is not justified in it, for the reason that God has promised to give strength to correct these things, and to give gifts that will eradicate them” (Millennial Star, 23 Apr. 1894, 260).
I just thought those gifts that we really don't think about as being gifts of the spirit really are diamonds

2 comments:

The Gag-nears said...

Love this one brother. Really got me thinking. Great quotes. Diamond for me: not having my brother move across the country for the summer. That would be a diamond. I handled Spain maybe I can handle Scranton. Love you!

Carolyn Howell said...

I am excited for your opportunity to move across the country. What a gift! Enjoy and make the most of every minute wherever you are! I'm sure you will. xoxo