Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Diamond 16 My Father

Courageous DVD - Collectors Edition
This diamond was shown to me through my calling in the young mens presidency, and by recently watching Courageous the movie. It was my turn to teach this week and I opened up the manual and saw that this week the lesson is on honoring our fathers. I just wanted to take this opportunity to say what a great example my dad is. Camie and I often talk about what great examples we have as parents, and we know that there are many who are not so blessed. But my dad stands as a diamond against the black velvet of this world. He recently gave a talk in Stake Conference about the difference between being a member of the church and being converted to the gospel. He used a cold shower metaphor comparing those who are just members of the church are just jumping in and out of a cold shower, and those who are converted are really soaking in the hot water of the gospel. The talk he gave really had power because he lives everything he preaches. Anytime I have a question about what to do in any situation, I just think if my dad was in this situation what would he do? He has stood up to his employer, at risk of his job, letting them know he will not work on Sunday. His standard of entertainment is unsurpassed by anyone I know. I have never heard him say a negative thing about another person in my life. The way he lives his life has made me question any impurities I may have. He truly is the most Christlike example that I know. I owe so much to him. Having a righteous father figure is becoming as rare as uplifting political adds these days, but my dad has the courage to stand for what a father and patriarch of the home should be. Now my father didn't work on cars with me much, we didn't go camping that often or on big fishing trips. But I knew where he was every Sunday at 5:00 am till 6:00 pm. I also knew where he would be anytime there was a service project that was assigned, and where he would be anytime service was needed but no announcements were made.

There is one quality that my dad has that stands above the rest, and that is his love for my mother. That single quality has left in me a conviction and a determination to love my wife as much as he loves her. I have learned that the standard of respect and honor my father gives to my mother is not easy to duplicate. I am trying each and every day to be more like my father, but the advantage I have over the 37% of children that are born in fatherless homes, and 50% of homes that are divorced, is that I have 25 years of a shining example of how a man should treat his wife. I think part of the reason I have such a great dad is that I needed the example. He truly is a diamond against black velvet, and I will try the rest of my life to live up to his example. I love you dad.

2 comments:

The Gag-nears said...

This is so true. He is such an amazing example Jeff. We are blessed to have had him as a dad. Thanks for reminding me to be grateful for this blessing. I love you too dad.

The Gag-nears said...

Not only to have "had" him as a dad - but to have him still giving us advice and giving us an example to live by.