Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Diamond #11






This past weekend Camie, Lachlynn, and I went down to Gettysburg, PA. It was a very somber place, almost a sacred feeling permeated the battlefields. I was overcome with reverence for the men who would lay down their lives fighting for their country. Now I know that I have already published a post about America, and freedom, however, I felt that it is appropriate to take a moment and honor the men and women who give their lives fighting for this great country. As I we were driving listening to our auto tour, I couldn't help but think of the individual soldiers. The tour talked about how at night, during the three days of battle, the air was filled with the screams of pain, and cries for home. Many of the soldiers were only 18 or 19. I tend to think that maybe the politics behind the war wasn't the reason these boys were fighting. I doubt many of them knew all of the politics behind the war, but what they did know was the founding principles of this great nation. The basic belief and attitude of "what can I do for my country", (NOT what my country can do for me). I honor those men. Those that fought in the bloodiest battle on American soil, and anyone, man or woman, who is willing to fight for their country. My Grampy was one of those men, he fought in WWII. I think if he were here right now he would say that it was a privileged to serve his country. I hope and pray for that attitude to stay with us today and that we ask ourselves What can I do for my Country. If the majority of Americans keep that spirit alive then we will be able to uphold this quote from the Gettysburg Address: " that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. "

1 comment:

Carolyn Howell said...

Thoughtful, touching and so true. I appreciate and love you J.D.