Friday, March 6, 2009

Diamond #5


Well Diamond # 5 is music. What would this world be without music. Most of my family is really musically inclined, but being the black sheep of the family in regards to musical talent, hated practicing piano more than going to the dentist. But I must say that good music can open a part of our soul that words just can't touch. When I was on my mission one night I woke up in absolute agony. I couldn't feel the spirit, I felt inadiquate as a missionary, and I felt as if I didn't get out of this slump that I was in, I would never be able to teach anyone anything about the joy of the gospel. I laid awake for a long time until I finally couldn't take it anymore. I went into my study room and pulled out a hymn book. I turned to Be Still My Soul and sang all 3 verses. It was almost immediate that I felt the depression completly dissapate. I was filled with a feeling of complete joy and hope. Music truly is a diamond.

3 comments:

Tracie Jo said...

Don't you just love music that brings the spirit? That is one of the best ways for me to share my testimony is through music, either through voice or piano.

Carolyn Howell said...

Hymn #124...my favorite! The Provo Temple organist was playing it in the chapel as I was contemplating marriage to Lane and uprooting my family to Florida. Sweet assurance. Thanks JD. AND congrats on your newborn daughter. xoxo

The Gag-nears said...

Loving this blog and this post. The comments finally work. Love the music you put on here too. I am the other black sheep shep when it comes to music, but I am glad we grew up around it and learned it as much as we could. What a blessing. I totally agree - and now wouldn't the next diamond be the gift of life - based around your new little girl? It is truly a diamond. Congrats!