Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Diamond #4






AMERICA
Although it is not the 4th of July, I just wanted to give my shout out to our great country. She certainly has her problems, but boy I love America. While I was on my mission to Madrid, Spain, I realized that America has so many things that make her great. My Grandpa served in WWII and I never realized what it means to go serve your country. To give up the comforts of home and family, and fight for a cause that is so important. While in Spain I saw the effects of religious persecution. People, when forced to believe a certain way, grow callused to God and his laws. Eventhough there has been freedom of religion for over 30 years in Spain, the residual effects still exist. However, in America, freedom of religion has always been protected. That is what this great country is founded on, freedom to believe any way you want and not be forced to beleive a certain way. I could go on for hours about why I am so gratefull to live in America but I think Rodney Adkins has a new song that really says every thing I want to say:


drivin' down the street today i saw a sign for lemonade there were the cutest kids i'd ever seen in this front yard as they handed me my glass smilin' thinkin to myself man what a picture perfect postcard this would make of America it's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet it's a man on the moon, it's fireflies in June, and kids sellin' lemonade it's cities and farms, it's open arms, one nation under God it's america later on when I got home I flipped the TV on I saw a little town that some big twister tore apart and people came from miles around just to help their neighbors out I was thinkin' to myself I'm so glad that I live in America it's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet it's a man on the moon, and fireflies in June, and kids sellin' lemonade it's cities and farms, it's open arms, one nation under God it's america now we don't always get it all right there's no place else I'd rather build my life a dancing kid with a chance it's a rock-n-roll band it's a farmer cuttin' hay it's a big flag flyin' in the summer wind over a fallen heros grave it's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a welcome home parade it's a man on the moon, it's fireflies in June, and kids sellin' lemonade it's cities and farms, it's open arms, one nation under God it's america

I love how it says "we don't always get it all right but there's no place else I'd rather build my life" That pretty much sums it up. America is truly a diamond.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I would have to agree with you! My uncle was in the Marine Corp and served in Korea during Desert Storm. Even though I was a young kid during that time. It was still cool to tell your friends that you know someone serving overseas for our country.

Camie and JD said...

America is beautiful and I am glad to live here.

Tracie Jo said...

There are about three things that I get very emotional about, my family, my religion and my country. I tear up when I sing the National Anthem, and during the firework shows around Independence Day.

Carolyn Howell said...

JD, Thanks for creating this amazing blog. I enjoyed reading of the diamonds we share. It's a good place to come and simply listen to some good music. I'll be sure to stop by every now and then. Love, Aunt Carolyn

The Gag-nears said...

God Bless it. Good post bro. Garth still remembers kissing the airport floor when he stepped off the plane in Florida after his 2 years in El Salvador. How grateful he was for this amazing country. We have so much we take for granted. Good one.